Worcester Terrace
Clifton Suspension Bridge
Clifton Suspension Bridge
St. Andrew's Churchyard
St. Andrew's Churchyard
Sunbathing & Picnics in Victoria Square
Sunbathing & Picnics in Victoria Square
Petanque in Worcester Terrace
Petanque in Worcester Terrace
Patio Garden Maple Leaf Court
Patio Garden Maple Leaf Court
Cornwallis Crescent West
Cornwallis Crescent West
Richmond Terrace Gardens Entrance
Richmond Terrace Gardens Entrance

Worcester Terrace


Worcester Gardens is a privately owned Victorian ornamental communal garden in the Clifton & Hotwells Conservation Area sub-division Clifton Park, laid out in 1853. Charles Underwood designed Worcester Terrace and Gardens in 1842

History


Prior to the development of the gardens, the land was held as part of the Manor of Clifton and was in agricultural use.


The Clifton area has been in occupation from Neolithic times.

The gardens have been formally owned in trust for the benefit of residents of Worcester Terrace by the Worcester Gardens, Clifton Association since 1992, although in practice the gardens have always been held exclusively for the benefit of the residents.

The garden contains many lovely mature trees including copper beech, holly and chestnut.

The general layout of the gardens has been maintained from at least 1887 when two lawn tennis courts were established which were maintained up until 1953. The original railings and gates were removed sometime in 1942 as part of the war effort and replaced in 1950 with wire fencing.

Visit us on Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th June between 11:00  & 4:00 p.m.


There will be  a market stall, croquet. and   a BBQ  from 12.00 - 2.00 p.m.

 

On Sunday we are hosting the Ponita choir and the Canto Nova choir from Hannover, Germany between  2.00-2.30 p.m.


We look forward to seeing you!



Contact details:

Email: info@gssg-bristol.com

Web manager: Lynne McAleavey