Bishop's House

Bishop’s House

This is an exceptional, large private walled garden with beautiful borders, topiary and other features. The layout has changed little from 120 years ago, when George Oatley lived here. He was the Architect commissioned by Bristol University to design many of their buildings, including the University Tower.

The date above the front door is 1711, making this one of the first large houses to be built in Clifton.  The Bishop of Bristol resided here after the second world war when the previous Bishop’s House in the centre of Bristol was bombed. The house returned to private ownership in December 2003.